As I reported to patrons yesterday, I wasn't able to put out my regular monthly release. My computer crashed while I was in the middle of working on a repeat scenario for Osculia Suffocati. This managed to corrupt the story file and I wasn't able to retrieve it.
Thankfully I have backups (I backup to an external hard drive at the beginning of every month) and was able to also find a more recent automated backup.
Unfortunately, I still lost the last 3 weeks of work I'd done in Twine. As I told patrons, this was only the coding work. All raw texts are in MS .docs, so they were fine. I also typed the new selection algorithm in notepad first (because the Twine editor runs very slowly now that the project is as big as it is), so I still have that.
I did lose a lot of the QoL changes I made as well as the implementation of the two harlots I was planning to add with v0.024. This is a massive nuisance as I'll have to redo them, but it is what it is. No sense crying about it.
I estimate it'll take about a week or two to get caught up again. Depending on where I am in the month, I'll either put the release out then, or hold it back and treat it as a bumper release for October.
I'm planning for this to be the new public demo as it removes a lot of the repetition on restarts (especially the Barman's intro), moves a few of the dangerous harlots back to later rounds so they're not murdering noobies on Round 1, and a proper demo ending checkpoint rather than the nonsensical "we've run out of harlots" message the Madam currently gives you.
As for guarding against this happening again, now that I know Twine handles hardware crashes very badly, I'll switch my archive policy to after every new feature.